Friday, May 21, 2010

Painting: Buffalo Spirit

This is actually a painting I did many, many years ago. I'm not usually prone to hang on to paintings I complete - They only serve their purpose when they are in the hands of a collector, where they can be seen out in public. But this one marked a turn in a new direction for me, in a theme that still inspires me ... so I've hung on to it! Now I'm ready to progress in the medium of painting again, instead of just limiting myself to jewelry and sculpture, and so I think it appropriate to find this piece a new home.

UPDATE:  This piece now has a new home!

Buffalo Spirit - 24" X 48"
I played around a bit with negative space turning into positive space - illustrating the concept that current reality, that which we can see and hear, is only an illusion created from whole-cloth imagination. The space, stars and planets represent the void from which we create ourselves, and the "gate" below hinting at a different reality.

Buffaloes (actually, bison to be technically correct) have always been a favorite subject. One of my customers once told me that they had heard of them referred to as "Whales of the Earth", because of their size and power. I liked that. It communicates to me.

It's 2 feet by 4 feet, a size and shape I like a lot, and it's acrylic on canvas. Here's a secret about this piece: When I painted it, I was a poor, skinny starving artist - so I repainted over an existing painting I wasn't really happy with. The other painting, "Sorcerer's Apprentice", was a bit too comic-bookish and hokey compared to the vision for this piece, Buffalo Spirit. Having no money for canvas, I painted over the first painting. I had previously photographed the original painting, so here it is for you to see:

Buffalo Spirit now belongs to my son, but if you'd like to see more of my paintings, keep an eye out for future posts to this blog! Call me at the studio at (505) 296-1400 if you'd like to see any of my available works currently available in the studio. You can also email me for more details: David (at) StewartArt.com.

DESIGN, PHOTO AND TEXT © DAVID LLOYD STEWART - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just came across your blog and i like the way you think - about the blurred edges between imagination and reality. It is a great painting, which type of paint did you use, i don't think it says...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alison - you're right! I forgot to mention that it was acrylic on canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's beautiful, David. The second painting is a bit more comic-bookish... although I think it would make a great cover for some YA fantasy novel. Have you ever thought about designing book covers? Or is that not really your thing?

    ReplyDelete